Sunday, April 20, 2014

Grey's Anatomy 10x20 Go It Alone review

Go It Alone is the 20th episode of Grey's Anatomy season 10. It took me 2 days to write this because I kinda have mixed feelings about this episode. Some parts, I really couldn't care less, but other parts (mostly Cristina's) I felt torn. I was pissed, sad, but some part of me also feel excited. Here's why.

--- SPOILER ALERT ---


Last week we saw Cristina Yang got the nomination for the Harper Avery Awards. And this episode opened with Cristina getting ready a night before the award ceremony. She was going to write her winning speech with the help of Meredith. Owen insisted on coming with her to the ceremony, which took place in Boston the next day, but she refused.

However, it then turned out that Meredith needed to pull an all-nighter in the hospital. So was Alex. Plus Cristina didn't want to drink with Kepner, I laughed at this one. 

With no one to go to the bar with, Cristina then stayed with the siblings with the heart problem from previous episodes. I don't know their name exactly, but to make it short, in this episode the three of them got even worse, they needed to go back on transplant list, and their parents were having a major meltdown. There goes Cristina's night at the bar.

Another might-be-foreshadowing moment I noticed was this. Just before Cristina took the cab to the airport. It feels a bit like goodbye, in my opinion.



Moving on to the Award's Ceremony. A big twist came here, after being praised by colleagues, after being so confident about her speech, turned out Cristina Yang DID NOT WIN THE HARPER AVERY AWARD. What kind of a disaster was that???? (By the way, I totally called it since last week. See? I saw your foreshadowing attempt, Shonda Rhimes. You can't fool me).




Oh one important thing I need to say about this scene. The background music during this event was Aron Wright's cover of Everybody Wants To Rule The World. It fitted the scene, the feel, the mood, the emotion exactly, I almost cried because of this. Well done, whoever chose this song. Well done.

Now, of course personally I think Cristina deserved the award, I mean out of all the characters we've known in the series, no one deserved it more than Dr Yang. Also it will be a good farewell for Sandra Oh, right? However, now that we know that it didn't go that smoothly, I think this is a set up for further plot for the return of Dr Preston Burke (Isaiah Washington). Yes, Cristina ex-boyfriend-soon-to-be-husband, who left her at the altar earlier on the series. 


How will this play out? With only 4 episodes left, how will Shonda give us a closure to Cristina Yang's journey? I really really really REALLY hope it won't involve death.

Another highlight of this episode fell on Jackson Avery and April Kepner's marriage. They got in a huge HUGE fight all because of their different beliefs. It started with their patient, a little girl with hearing disabilities whose parents refused to give a cochlear implant. April was on the same side as those parents, but Jackson strongly believed otherwise. This lead to the argument about their different beliefs, faiths, April feeling that Jackson thought what she believed was ridiculous. Will they break up? Personally I think so. A few episodes ago, we saw Jackson's mom telling them about this would be a problem for them and it turn out to be true. To quote Mother Gothel from Disney's Tangled, "Mother knows best."


Meanwhile, Alex Karev was getting serious on the private practice job. He'd been moonlighting with Dr Butthole, so Idk, it seems like Alex was pretty sure about leaving Grey Sloan Memorial. BUT, like I said, I haven't heard any news about Justin Chambers leaving the show, so?? Will it be like Cristina in Minnesota, a short break from Seattle but then back again? Who knows.

Now, a quick review about other surgeons. 

Derek was being completely overwhelmed by his project with the government. So busy, that he abandoned his surgeries and his teaching duties up to the point where Hunt needed to remind him of those things. Plus, he made Meredith worry about their kids, since Derek let Callie and Arizona take care of them for the night but failing to tell Meredith about it. 

Both Derek and Mer were juggling with too many things on their hands now. We got a scene where the two of them discussing what to do. It seems that someone will let go of something. Who? What things? We don't know yet. 

Bailey was having a great time with her virus research for the immuno enzyme. Also, it's almost like she's the only character who's having a blast this week, besides Calzona of course. Callie and Arizona decided to have another baby last week, and this week they decided that Callie would be the one carrying it. 

One thing I really love from this episode is the nostalgic moments. How The Twisted Sisters are back to be as strong as they were in the very beginning of this series. Earlier in this season, Mer and Cristina was having some sort of a cold war towards each other since their life were heading into different directions with different priorities. Yes, they kinda made up during Kepner's wedding, and gradually shifted back to being best friends, but still I couldn't really feel it.

However in this episode, I could totally see that, despite of Owen Hunt being Cristina's significant other, Meredith still hold a very important part of Cristina's biggest moment. Mer was there beside her every time Cristina needed her.



I love their friendship so much. And thank you Shonda for not ruining this on Sandra's last season. Thank you for not pulling a Ryan freakin Murphy. 



Both Owen and Mer were there for Cristina. They were her support system. Cristina was a lone wolf, a badass solo surgeon, but in the end we will always need somebody else with us. Even after 10 seasons of ups and downs, Mer and Cristina are still each other's person. I wish I'll have a friendship like this. 

Oh! One extra fun scene. 


Alex, Mer, Cristina. Our original interns, once again operating together. This made me so happy and I need more.

--- SPOILER ENDS ---

I give this episode 3.5/5 noise. I like some moments sooo much plus the drama felt right in this episode, not too overdone. There are only 4 episodes left this season. Meaning, after that there will be no more Dr Cristina Yang on GA. I'm not ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment