Saturday, August 29, 2015

Jess Glynne "I Cry When I Laugh" album review


So yes, Jess Glynne is my current obsession. And I Cry When I Laugh has been on repeat for these last few days. No regret.  This is my first post about music! YAY!! 

Before this album came out, we mostly knew her from her collabs, "Rather Be" and "Real Love" both with Clean Bandit (the violin part in Rather Be, LOVE IT). That, until I found out that she released her own single "Hold My Hand" earlier this year.

Overall, this album is, in my opinion, a nice, feel-good mix of pop, dance, and RnB with uplifting vibe. The standard edition consists of 14 tracks, and the deluxe edition contains 6 extra tracks, including an acoustic version of Route 94's "My Love", which is (much like Sam Smith's acoustic version of Latch) a nicer, calmer version of its original edm version. This song clearly shows Glynne's distinctive vocal style. 

Oh, and 20 tracks in a debut album of a newcomer? That's brave, considering most artists usually release only 13 or so songs in one album. Also the fact that Glynne herself co-wrote every single one of these songs, except for Clean Bandit's Rather Be, only gives one more plus point for this album.

2 successful singles and the highlights from this album so far are "Hold My Hand" and "Don't Be So Hard On Yourself". Both are chart-toppers, reaching #1 on UK hit chart. Both have the similar captivating pop-dance beat that basically sets the rhythm of the whole album. However, there are also a couple of slower, soulful ballads in the album. "Take Me Home", a ballad filled with emotional lyrics, such as this personal favourite line of mine "Could you take care of a broken soul?". And the other one is "Saddest Vanilla" featuring Emeli Sandé. Double yes. 

The thing I love the most from this album is how you can really hear the piano sound stands out in the music, although they are mostly electronic dance types of tunes. Especially in some of my favourites "Give Me Something", paired with upbeat violin in "Ain't Got Far To Go", and with the Whitney Houston's R&B style in "No Right No Wrongs". 

Lastly, I also LOVE the lyrics. Personally I find them uplifting and it makes you feel good, thus the uplifting vibe I mentioned earlier. This will be one long ass post if  I put every line I like here, so just listen to those songs I mentioned above. You'll see it. Just one small example, from Ain't Got Far To Go:
"I wasn't scared, I fought this on my own
You pulled me down and I let you go
I told you I would prove you wrong
And now I'm here and I'm standing strong"

Now I'm off to watch Jess Glynne's  live performance on Youtube. I hope she sounds as good as her recordings.

I give Jess Glynne's debut album I Cry When I Laugh 4/5 noise. Go dance yourself out to this album. 


No comments:

Post a Comment